I was commissioned to build a fixed blade, EDC cleaver. Challenge accepted! I drew up a quick design and after getting customer approval, got to work.
The original design included a swedge on the top of the blade with a chiseled, tanto styled tip. The angles in the drawing didnt quite add up. Instead of trying something new on a customer’s knife, I eliminated the swedge and the chisel grind on the tip. In the end, the simple design made for a better looking knife.
This is the point that I realized I needed to the replace the platen on my belt sander. I make plenty of errors and nasty grind marks on my own, the last thing I need is an inconsistent platen making it worse. As you can see, I still need a ton of practice, but theres nothing here a little elbow grease and files cant take care of.
At this point, I started to wonder if this thing was going to be “big” to be an EDC knife. The knife was hardened and I realized I had forgotten to put the jimping in. After buying a file just for jimping, I still forgot it! I annealed it overnight and got to work the next morning cutting the jimping.
Files are not something people tend to get excited about, but I would be lying if I said “cutting this was boring”. I used a checkering file (which is probably the most expensive hand tool I have ever bought). Back to hardening and heat treating.
The handle material selection I had on hand was fairly limited. I have some ebony, black linen micarta, and walnut. My favorite to work with is walnut, but this being for a friend, I decided on the ebony with copper hardware.
I could not have been happier with how it turned out.
After finishing the knife, the only thing left to was to make the sheath. This is the fourth sheath I have made and the progress is showing, but I am still not consistent enough to advertise myself as a leather worker.
Thanks Brian for giving me the opportunity to make a little dough making something with my hands!